When you’re experiencing chronic pain, it’s common to lose your head a little. It may seem like there’s no solution, or like you’ll be feeling this way forever. If you’ve been in pain because of your jaw, there may actually be a treatment as simple as a mouth guard. Occlusal guards help soothe the pain associated with TMJ disorders, jaw malfunction, and bruxism. Not only will you feel better, you will sleep more soundly, and mange to return to your normal life.
Occlusal Guards for Pain
When your jaw gets up to no good, its muscles spend hours contracting against your will. This most commonly occurs when you’re sleeping. Your nightly hours in bed should be a restful, healing time, and jaw muscle movement prevents you from getting the relaxation that you need. Moreover, it can lead to ongoing problems with your temporomandibular joint, or jaw joint. These TMJ disorders are uncomfortable and can manifest in the following ways:
- Jaw pain
- Facial pain
- Headaches or migraines
- Swollen jaw
- Sore teeth
- Worn, cracked, chipped, or broken teeth
- Exhausted, difficult to use jaw
- Clicking or popping sounds when the jaw moves
All these symptoms are frustrating, and you don’t need to put up with them any longer. Mouth guards will control your jaw’s movements to protect your TMJ and your teeth. Our Oakland staff will first determine the cause of your jaw pain to assign the appropriate guard. Your night guard may do any of the following to tame your jaw:
- Protect teeth – If you are a chronic teeth grinder but don’t feel discomfort in your jaw joint, protecting your teeth is the top priority. This type of guard will cover either the upper or lower teeth with a thin layer of plastic to prevent them from the pressure of grinding and clenching.
- Limit jaw movement – This type of guard helps to calm the TMJ by preventing it from seizing. It will connect your upper and lower teeth to keep the lower jaw from moving throughout the night.
- Prevent the jaws from touching – Sometimes this is the best way to resolve TMJ issues. This guard will keep back teeth from touching and putting great pressure on one another.
Getting a Night Guard in Oakland
If you’re seeking pain relief, we may have the answer in a simple guard. Get in touch with our practice to learn whether we can help.